Himalaya Girl

Himalaya Girl

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hangzhou Basketball

Ok so two weekends ago..at least I think two weekends ago...Coach Doug Thompson took his 9 boy basketball players for a tournament in Hangzhou about two hours north of Ningbo. These games were at the Hangzhou International School. And at the next door Chinese school who also had a gym.
He left at 9 AM in the morning on Friday to play two games.
And they won....BOTH.
He called and you could hear the boys in the background so happy. I think Coach was ecstatic also.
Well I had already decided to go up on Saturday morning to watch the rest of the basketball games they had three more.
Trent and I decided that the best way to get up there was by bus and then stay in the Sheraton that was a few minutes down the road. (Trent's wife Shawn was the girls basketball coach)
Well the bus was not as bad as I thought it was going to be and I definitely drank no water so I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom...in the bus station.....there wasn't any bathroom on the bus...but I am pretty sure it would have been a hole going out to the road.
Anyway the bus ride was about two hours long and then we had to get in a taxi to get to the Sheraton.
Trent and I were on the top floor...awesome views. A little bit more pollution, tons more people, lots more foreigners, people way nicer to foreigners.
We made it to Hangzhou in good time and to the basketball games in good time.
We watched the boys win two games in a row...so they were now four for four.
They played great...I mean they had only been practicing for two weeks...and they were sweeping the floor. I honestly think it was because of the coaching! He did a super job and those boys responded to him so well. It was good to see where he belonged again.
Anyway Trent I watched the girls play and that was almost like magnet ball. UMMMM...not much to say....for Shawn's first time coaching she did a good job.
The whole gang were exited about the final game.
The boys played well but they were exhausted and it was there fifth game in 2 days.
They came back from a ten point deficit to miss the large plastic trophy by three points.
I was so proud of Doug.
Well after those amazing four games Trent and I took off...
We went and ate Thai Food and then went to a winery. It was so great. It was great to eat a different type of food. And buy some wine and drink and hang out.
I really liked Hangzhou and can't wait to go back in few weeks.
There are pictures of the game and stuff on FLICKR please go look at them!
Thanks for tuning in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great uniforms and the boys and girls look like super stars...get their autographs..yeahh Mom